Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sea Days

01/13/2017

We’ve pointed our noses north and are on our way back to NOLA. It’ll take two days at sea to reach our home port. Some cruisers hate sea days. They live for the shore excursions.

Not me. I always consider the ship itself a destination. This is a shot of the main atrium on the Carnival Dream. There's so much to see, so many lights, it reminds me of Tokyo at night! 

And the cruise director makes sure there’s so much to do that if you tried to do it all, you’d run yourself silly.

Here’s how our Friday went:

8:30AM Breakfast in the Scarlet dining room. We could go up to the Lido deck for a buffet, but why do that when you can be served in style? It takes a little longer, but you also get the benefit of meeting some of your fellow passengers and sharing their experiences.

10:00AM The Fun Shop is running a “last chance” sale, so we drop by to pick up a few things for the fam back home. No, we did not get anyone a T-shirt that reads: “My parents went to the Caribbean and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.”

10:20AM As we start back up to Cabin 7219, someone stops me by saying, “Are you Lexi Eddings?” When I admitted to it, she tells me she downloaded THE COLDWATER WARM HEARTS CLUB and gushes about how much she’s enjoying it. I introduce her to my DH and thank her profusely for reading my book. I always appreciate it so much when someone spends their hard earned money for my work and gives a few hours of their life to my stories.

Not gonna lie. It feels pretty good to hear that my book has brightened someone’s day.

10:45AM~ The DH and I sit on our balcony watching the little flying fish skipping over the swells. The wind and waves lull me into a pleasant sense of my own smallness. It’s part of why we spring for a veranda cabin. The ocean is so vast, so mysterious, I can’t help but feel thankful for the blessing of abundant water on our planet.

And it makes me realize that compared to God, the greatest genius ever born is a complete imbecile.

12:00 Noon~It’s time to put the feedbag on again. Since the dining room isn’t open, we go up to the Lido deck for the buffet. The DH snags a burger and fries. I opt for a salad and roast beef.

On my way back to our table, a lady stops me to ask about Herkimer (my Portable Oxygen Concentrator). Someone she loves has to have supplemental O2 and they’re looking for a solution that doesn’t involve klunky canisters or big, heavy contraptions.

When I was first prescribed supplemental O2, my world shrank to the confines of a 25 ft green tube running from the home concentrator. To say it was merely depressing is to sugar coat it.

But my POC has made all the difference. I can travel. I can be active. Herkimer may be the first thing people notice about me, but I don’t want him to be the last. I’m not done with adventures and he helps me have them.

Anyway, I give the folks my card and ask them to email me so I can point them to Main Clinic Supply, where I bought my POC.  

While my DH and I eat our lunch, an artist starts carving a 300 lb block of ice. It’s an amazing process to watch! So much work for something that will melt in a few hours.

1:00PM~ Time for art of another sort. I often go to art auctions when I cruise. First, I love learning about the artists, the difference between a giclee  and a lithograph, and the styles of art. I’ve even bought more pieces than I probably should have in the past.

But this time, I’m here to people watch. My fellow passengers don’t disappoint. It’s a rowdy crowd for an art auction with much foot-stomping and cheering. (I think the complimentary mimosas might have something to do with that.) The bidding flies fast and furious and a number of what I’d consider big purchases (read: over $5000!) bring the gavel down hard.

Then there is a small bidding war over a simple unframed print that started at only $80. The price climbs up to $130 before the other two bidders drop out. Then the auctioneer says, “Guess what? I have 3 of them so you can all have one for $100.” The two who lost the bid jump at the opportunity, but Ms. $130 decides she doesn’t want it for $100.

If she can’t be the only one to take the print home, she doesn’t want it at all.

Human nature.  Sometimes it’s hard to unscrew the inscrutable, isn’t it?  

2:30PM~Time for the obligatory nap. My DH says it’s his goal to have two a day while we’re on board. While he saws a log or two, I noodle on the computer or play Angry Birds (yes, I have a mild Angry Bird addiction, but I’m working on it, ok?)

4:30PM~Tonight is a formal night, so it’s time to put a little paint on the old barn door. I’ll be wearing black palazzo pants, a black tank and a black and gold jacket. The DH conveniently “forgot” to pack his suit jackets so he’ll spruce up by wearing a tie with his dress pants and shirt.

6:00PM~We join our table mates for a lovely meal. It’s been great getting to know Dan & Connie from Louisiana and Theresa & Greg  from California. On the last formal night we had lobster. Not sure Carnival will repeat that, but it’s sure to be a special menu.

8:00PM~Tonight’s show in the Encore theater is a salute to country music. All right. I confess it. I’m a musical snob. We plan to play hooky from the show and hit the thermal suite when there likely won’t be anyone else there. After all, the DH has a second nap to squeeze into our busy schedule and those stone loungers are a great place to do it.

9:00PM~We shower, change into our jammies and head for the Lido Deck pool to try to snag a couple of good lounge chair for a movie under the stars. They’re playing Deepwater Horizon at 9:30 tonight.

And for those of you who are worried about us running around the ship in our pjs, let me ease your minds. The DH will be in flannel pants and a T-shirt. My jammies look a long black knit dress, cuz that’s what it is. We won’t upset anyone.

Promise.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are enjoying your cruise. It makes waiting 3 more weeks until mine more exciting! Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to hearing about YOUR adventures, Eileen!

      Delete